Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Burgermeister Meisterburger

No, I am not referring the crotchety mayor that refused to let the children have toys, I am talking about our favorite summer pastime… grilling.
Me, personally, there is nothing I like better than something grilled. It sends me into prehistoric like grunts and belly rubbing that currently make my kids giggle, but surely will one day mortify them.
However, each year serious injuries occur because of grill use/misuse. My goal as an agent is not only to be there to help you when you have a loss, but to help prevent that loss from ever occurring.
So what should you do? Erie compiled a list of safety tips that are good to keep in mind. Some of these are no brainers (hopefully…) and some are things we often just don’t think to do. Enjoy and remember… I like my burgers rare. 
Gas grill safety tips
• Check grill hoses for cracking,
brittleness, holes and leaks. Make sure
there are no sharp bends in the hose
or tubing.
• Make sure your grill’s propane tank has
a three-prong gas valve handle. As of
April 1, 2002, the three-prong design
replaced a five-prong handle as the
safety standard.
• Move gas hoses as far away as
possible from hot surfaces and dripping
hot grease.
• Always keep propane gas
containers upright.
• Never store a spare gas container under
or near the grill or indoors.
• Never store or use flammable liquids, like
gasoline, near the grill.
• Never keep a filled container in a hot
car or car trunk. Heat will cause the gas
pressure to increase, which may open
the relief valve and allow gas to escape.
• Make sure your spark igniter is
consistently generating a spark to create
a flame and burn the propane gas. If the
flame is not visible, the heavier-than-air
propane gas may be escaping and could
cause an explosion.
• Never bring the propane tank into
the house.
• When using barbecue grills on decks or
patios, be sure to leave sufficient space
from siding and eaves.
• Keep children and pets far away
from grills.

Charcoal grill safety tips
Keep in mind that charcoal, when burned
in grills, produces carbon monoxide (CO).
To reduce the risk of CO poisoning:
• Never burn charcoal inside of homes,
vehicles, tents or campers.
• Charcoal should never be used indoors,
even if ventilation is provided.
• Since charcoal produces CO fumes until
the charcoal is completely extinguished,
do not store the grill indoors with freshly
used coals.

No comments:

Post a Comment